RARA-AVIS: Strange love of Martha Ivers - Jack/John patrick

From: Harry Dawes ( superpanavision70@hotmail.com)
Date: 17 Nov 2000

Hi,

I'm interested if anyone knows anything about the short story "Love Lies Bleeding" by Jack Patrick (AKA John Patrick), which formed the basis of Lewis Milestone's 1946 film "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" with Barbara Stanwyck, Kirk Douglas, Van Heflin and Lizbeth Scott.

I have read it was unpublished at the time the film was made? Did it ever turn up in any anthology? Anyone read it? John Patrick (as he was better known) was born 1903 and committed suicide in 1995. I'm really interested in this story.

best wishes Harry