RARA-AVIS: Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:58:35 -0500

From: George Pelecanos ( shoedog1@erols.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2000

"doesn't miller's crossing feel more like the glass key than anything else?"

Yes, the relationship in Miller's Crossing between Tom Reagan and Leo O'Bannion closely mirrors the relationship between Paul Madvig and Ned Beaumont in The Glass Key. And Reagan takes a good beating in the film the way Madvig does, famously, in the novel. But clearly the Coens were pulling from Harvest in presenting Reagan's simple strategy: like the Continental Op, Reagan uses the divide and conquer method to break up a gang war.

As for all of this being "unsubstantiated," I should have mentioned that for ten years I ran the company, Circle Films, that distributed Blood Simple, and produced the Coen's Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, and Miller's Crossing. When Joel Coen and I discussed the issue, he admitted the connection, but pointed to hip-hop as another modern art that, like film, processes direct and indirect influences into a new kind of whole. Sampling beats, though, isn't quite the same as lifting entire storylines from novels, so I don't exactly agree that Hammett's non-credit should be so easily dismissed. But I do understand his position, and his point.

Finally, I don't mean to imply that I'm being critical of the film in any way. To me, Miller's Crossing is a classic and nearly perfect of its kind. Unfortunately, the picture didn't "do it" at the boxoffice. Fox, in a stroke of genius, decided to release the film at the same time as Goodfellas, despite our protests. The public, choosing to see only one gangster movie that month, flocked to Goodfellas and virtually ignored the other film.

Pelecanos