Re: RARA-AVIS: a question

From: cooper ( jane@almaludo.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: 14 Nov 2000

- From: Juri Nummelin <

> I actually found the reference some time ago. It's a play by Carlo
> Collodi ("The Servant of Two Masters" or something), the same guy who
> wrote "Pinocchio" (sounds verrrry hardboiled, doesn't it?). I don't have
> the exact date for this, but I'd say it's from the 18th century. ...

A Servant of Two Masters is a commedia dell'arte comedy by Carlos Goldini and was written in 1746. It does what it says on the can,Venetian chancer doubles income by serving two masters at once. I'd love to be able to say I knew this already, but it's running in Edinburgh and was reviewed in this weeks Guardian. Not sure if it's the same one as Juri is thinking of. Jane