Re: RARA-AVIS: Cockfighter

From: Dave ( birdlives@earthlink.net)
Date: 14 Nov 2000

Seen it, and it's a very good picture. Slow motion action of cockfighting, extremely bizarre. You can see how birds were descended from dinosaurs -- they look positively primordial!

Basically Hellman changed it by adding a love story. It actually works pretty well, to my mind. Oates is great, and Willeford is ... just as you'd imagine him to be. It's also got some fabulous Willefordian gallows humor... However,
"Miami Blues" is a purer Willeford adaptation.

Yet, to me, "The Woman Chaser" captures his world view the most accurately.
(in black and white, no less) I loved it. Apparently, Betsy Willeford agrees with me. But I guess we're in the heavy minority. But there's gotta be something good about a movie that some people love, and others hate ...

Dave