RARA-AVIS: Cockfighter

From: Richard Feaster ( richard@daheshmuseum.org)
Date: 14 Nov 2000

I just saw on Amazon that COCKFIGHTER (directed by Monte Hellman and starring Warren Oates as Frank Mansfield) is being re-released on VHS soon in a widescreen edition. I believe Willeford himself appears in this 1974 film. This has been out of print on video for some time...needless to say I'm anticipating seeing it. I've heard it's one of the better Willeford adaptations. The book is quite amazing. I wonder if this film makes the allusions to THE ODYSSEY more or less apparent than the book.