RE: RARA-AVIS: a question

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 14 Nov 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 billha@ionet.net wrote:

> Probably we need someone who knows all those Jacobean blood revenge plays
> (with bodies galore) to find the real origins of the plot in
> question.

I actually found the reference some time ago. It's a play by Carlo Collodi ("The Servant of Two Masters" or something), the same guy who wrote "Pinocchio" (sounds verrrry hardboiled, doesn't it?). I don't have the exact date for this, but I'd say it's from the 18th century. As for Kurosawa, I'd say he knows his European classics better than American crime novels, given the delicate handling of his Shakespeare films.

Juri