Re: RARA-AVIS: The Hunter

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 14 Nov 2000

From: "James Reasoner" wrote,

> But my favorite book of this type is still Marlowe's _The Name of the Game
> is Death_.

I'm sure at one time we mentioned that Westlake's original manuscript had Parker dying at the end of the book. His editor told him thought the character could be used for a series and asked Westlake if he could let him live. Westlake had no objections and slightly rewrote the book. Westlake's early __The Mercenaries__ and __Killing Time__ would roughly fit in this category though the latter is closer to __Red Harvest__. It may be wrong artistically, but Westlake, like Marlowe, also found it's more profitable and probably easier to have your protagonist live so you have a continuing character

I think Westlake once said if he had known Parker were going to be featured in a series he would have given him a redeeming quality or two. I think that lack of appeal, making Parker seem like an unstoppable elemental force is what made the series so popular. That's why I don't like the efforts to somewhat humanize him in the later novels, especially Backflash Mark .