Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler's opinion of James M Cain

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 13 Nov 2000

> But I'm serious about the "why?", even on a subjective basis. All these
authors
> wrote great stuff. It there something within us that forces a
best-over-all
> selection? Learned or genetic, what?

Some people don't like olives on their pizza, either. I mean, is it really so bad for someone to like a particular writer more than another, and even formulate why one is better than another? Life's not fair and all writers are not on an equal playing field. Not even the same field, in most cases. And playing different games.

They all did remarkably different things, too. These resonate differently with different readers.

Neil Smith