Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler's opinion of James M Cain

From: KS ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 13 Nov 2000

William Denton wrote:

> On 11 November 2000, KS wrote:
>
> : As for ranking Cain, Chandler and MacDonald-why?
>
> Do you mean John D., or were you thinking of Ross Macdonald? It should be
> Hammett, anyway.

The small d Macdonald. I stand corrected, a posture I know I'll find even more familiar as I participate in this forum.

But I'm serious about the "why?", even on a subjective basis. All these authors wrote great stuff. It there something within us that forces a best-over-all selection? Learned or genetic, what?

KS