RE: RARA-AVIS: The Killing

From: Victor Gischler ( crimeboy@earthlink.net)
Date: 13 Nov 2000

The title of the book seems to refer to the minor film noir, "Plunder Road", directed by Hubert Cornfield in 1958, which points to the Stanley Kubrick film "The Killing", based on Lionel White's "Clean Break".

A slight tangent: Speaking of "The Killing," does ANYBODY think the voice-over in that film was a good idea. It provided limitless camp/amusement for my buddies and I whgile we were weatching, but what the heck did Kubrick have in mind? Was he taking a playful poke at the film noir convention of the voice-over, or is the plot really so hard to follow that we needed the relentless explaining?

Victor Gischler