Re: RARA-AVIS: Practical tips from hardboiled dicks

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 09 Nov 2000

Tips -

Do not forget the "alibi" gun: Plant a handgun on the scene where you just shot somebody unarmed to defend yourself. The planted piece was previously taken from a villain, or during a search done in somebody's home (preferably a low-life). Very efficient to avoid that the police doubts the necessity of your self-defense response. Do not forget to shoot with the piece on location, if your are a PI or not a cop, to be more believable about the necessity to response with your own gun.

So efficient that cops use this trick as well, but then it isn't always necessary to shoot with the piece afterwards, especially if another cop testifies he saw the victim showing the piece first, before being shot by his colleague.

Often used in crime novels. Off the top of my head I remember Hanson the cop of
"Night Dogs" by Kent Anderson doing it... but there are many other examples in novels. And in the real world.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384