Re: RARA-AVIS: Practical tips from hardboiled dicks

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 07 Nov 2000

Diane Trap wrote:

> In one of the novels a bartender advises Phillip Marlowe
> on the proper gin gimlet: equal parts gin and Rose's Lime Juice
> (this is tasty but will peel the enamel off your teeth). I'm
> not remembering the title of the novel (age and atrophy, sorry)
> --it's the one with Terry the veteran who married money and
> drinks too much.

It's "The Long Goodbye" and I believe it was Philip (not Phillip!) who said it, not some bartender. The gimlet is one of my favourite drinks. You must always remember this: don't put ice in it, put the ice in the glass before mixing the drink so that the glass coolens. Take off the ice and pour the drink in the glass.

Juri