Re: RARA-AVIS: Practical tips from hardboiled dicks

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2000

On 6 November 2000, Bleed272@aol.com wrote:

: "We sat in a corner of the bar at Victor's and drank gimlets. 'They
: don't know how to make them here, [Terry] said. 'What they call a
: gimlet is just some lime or lemon juice and gin with a dash of sugar
: and bitters. A real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's Lime Juice and
: nothing else. It beats martinis hollow."

It's Rose's Lime Cordial now, and I thought it always had been. Maybe the name was different there then. That quote is what made me try a gimlet, and I've been drinking them since (although I just had a sidecar the other day, which I think some other hardboiled type drank, and liked it even more).

One thing hardboiled detectives know how to do is bribe people. They're always sliding a bill over the counter, or stuffing it into a breast pocket, or fanning out a wad like cards. I never have occasion to give bribes, but if I did I'd certainly look to them for advice. They always knew who was up for a little graft, how much to offer, and how to make sure no-one else saw.

Bill