Re: RARA-AVIS: Practical tips from hardboiled dicks

From: Bleed272@aol.com
Date: 06 Nov 2000

Doug--

Thanks for heads-up on those tips. They're great. The Travis McGee books are certainly full of practical, interesting advice. I appreciate them all the more, now that I'm doing this story.

Diane--

Thank you for the gimlet tip. I found the full reference in chapter 3 of THE LONG GOODBYE:

"We sat in a corner of the bar at Victor's and drank gimlets. 'They don't know how to make them here, [Terry] said. 'What they call a gimlet is just some lime or lemon juice and gin with a dash of sugar and bitters. A real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's Lime Juice and nothing else. It beats martinis hollow."

Makes me kind of thirsty for one...

Best,

Duane Swierczynski