RE: Re: RARA-AVIS: Practical tips on hangovers

From: billha@ionet.net
Date: 06 Nov 2000

It occurs to me that we could get another thread going from "practical tips." As we enter the holiday season, we should remind ourselves of all the practical things that hard-boiled types do to get over the inevitable hangover or sapping or drugging.

Let me start: Nice metaphors, a short soliloquy seems just the thing before you head for the aspirin. Here's' Marlowe afer tying one on in The Long Goodbye:

"A shaft of sunlight tickled one of my ankles.... I got up on my feet and it took character. It took will power. It took a lot out of me, and there wasn't as much to spare as there once had been. The hard heavy years had worked me over."

There. Now he feels a lot better.

Who's next?

Bill Hagen billha@ionet.net