Re: RARA-AVIS: Practical tips from hardboiled dicks

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 06 Nov 2000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 Bleed272@aol.com wrote:

> I'm a writing a story for Men's Health magazine (where I work) about all of
> the cool practical tips/advice that I've picked up from reading hardboiled
> detective novels over the years--everything from how to sweet talk someone to
> how mix a perfect cocktail to how to get out of a sticky situation.
> Anyone have a favorite bit of practical wisdom I should be including? In
> exchange, you'd receive mention in the magazine, a copy when it appears next
> March, and of course, my eternal gratitude.

I don't drink coffee and I've never used this myself. All the people whom I've asked have said that they don't know the trick. In some Archer novel by Macdonald Archer asks for coffee and ham and eggs. The butler of the house Archer is currently working in says that there's only coffee that has been left overnight in the percolator. Archer says: "Warm it up and put some salt in it. It will take away the bitter taste." I have forgotten the name of the book, but it was Lew alright.

Juri