RARA-AVIS: Kantor correction

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 04 Nov 2000

A few weeks ago during our discussion of the John D. bio THE RED HOT TYPEWRITER, I expressed doubt that MacKinlay Kantor had joined the NY police department after World War II. After all he was born in 1904 and was a highly paid writer to the slicks such as Saturday Evening Post and to Hollywood. I was wrong. Back in the US for a few days visiting my daughters and books, I checked my TWENTIETH CENTURY AUTHORS, FIRST SUPPLEMENT and found this quote from Kantor:

"In 1948 and 1949 I worked with the New York Police Department learning the life and following the routine of a partolman in the 23d Precinct." The result was his novel SIGNAL THIRTY-TWO.

As for Stark/Westlake, I am currently reading the early (1962) novel "361" and am enjoying it immensely. His reputation as a comic novelist overshadowed his early novels which were in the Hammett mold. I had missed
"361" but am glad I stumbled on an old Penguin edition.

Richard Moore