RARA-AVIS: Chandler's Voice

From: bearlodge ( bearlodge@email.msn.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2000

I'm just back from a month's stay in England and coincidentally spent a Sunday afternoon at the new British Library where I heard a recording of part of the Chandler interview of Ian Fleming. Unfortunately most of the speaking was done by Fleming, so I'll have to go to the URL that Mark Coggins noted to hear more.

Before I left one topic of discussion was bargains. At a remainder shop on Charing Cross Road I was able to get three omnibus volumes of Chester Himes' 'Harlem Cycle' for 5 pounds. And an additional novel for 1.95.

Jim Sallis's new biography of Himes was just out, and I also found four of Jim's novels in trade paperback. I was delighted and scooped them up.

Cheers, Frank Denton