RARA-AVIS: Recently read: Woodrell's GIVE US A KISS

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Oct 2000

Now, this one I liked *alot*! Roughneck, slightly doofus writer leaves a sputtering career and a bad domestic situation to deliver a message to his crazy older brother, living out in the boondocks. Before you know it he's neck deep in pot harvesting, hillbilly feuding, and (slightly kinky) sex. Reads like a strange cross between Stone's DOG SOLDIERS, T.C. Boyle's BUDDING PROSPECTS, and Landis's SAVAGE SEASON, and I have to tell you, I found it compulsively readable. I live in a rural area, and know the sorts of people the Woodrell describes here -- indeed, Woodrell is one of the few recent writers, in my opinion, to really capture the truth about rural life. Best of all, the plot's tight and the narrative drive is relentless. Highly, highly recommended.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com