RARA-AVIS: THE LOST SON

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 15 Oct 2000

Speaking of Brit crime flicks, I just rented THE LOST SON, a nasty little slice of film about a French P.I. in London butting heads with a kiddie prostitution ring. It stars Daniel Auteuil , who does the world-weary eye pretty well. The film's a bit of a mess at times, and runs out of steam at the end, trying for a Hollywood style shoot-em-up finale, and too many cliches, but other parts are downright perfect, and some of the violence, when it comes, is brutal and shocking, a nice change from the cartoon-like stuff we get served so often.

Although it treads some of the same ground as 8MM, I preferred this one. It's unpleasant at times, but it feels real. Has anyone seen it? I'm not even sure if it's available in the States, though it does seem to be available in Europe and Canada, at least. Maybe check the foreign, or art film section?

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com
A new domain! The same old crap! Plus fiction from Tribe, Victor Gischler and Brian Evankovich. -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .