RARA-AVIS: Revisions, etc.

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 13 Oct 2000

Mark writes of "The Name of the Game is Death":

<< However, the entire book was re-edited,
 starting with the first page, ending with the last. >>

I just read a revised version of Steve Fisher's "I Wake Up Screaming." It was a little strange--some period details seemed to have been updated, but others not. The story has a late thirties/early 40s ethos, but mid/late 50s details here and there. This issue has been brought up a few times and might be worth considering with reference to Mike Shayne. I have a 1970 reprint of Heads You Lose, originally called Blood on the Black Market. Copyright 1943 and 1956. Did Dresser or others revise his work?

Doug