RARA-AVIS: Themed months and Mike Shayne

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 13 Oct 2000

On 13 October 2000, Juri Nummelin wrote:

: Maybe not a very good idea, but we could start with the early ones,
: graduate through the fourties and fifties and finally get to those
: ghosted by Ryerson Johnson, Robert Terrall, Michael Collins, James
: Reasoner and other people. Hmm.. very definitive maybe on that.

Mr. Reasoner and that whole big crew (Pronzini and so on) ghosted for the magazine, didn't they? I thought from the biblio that Dresser and Terrall did 90% of the books.

I think a Mike Shayne year might be a bit intensive, but perhaps we could turn the reading list into themed months. Each month we could take a writer or character or series and just have at it. Different people would end up reading different books and we'd end up with quite a conglomeration of facts and opinions. It'd mean people didn't have to worry about getting a specific title, too.

Bill