RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Get Carter, et al

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 13 Oct 2000

Cong wrote:

"I'm glad someone else has seen some merit in Payback. I also enjoyed Point Blank, but Payback had a nastiness to it that was satisfying."

My problem wasn't with the nastiness. That's about all I liked about it. My problem was the inconsistency of tone, the seemingly arbitrary swings from that nastiness to smartass oneliners by Gibson. They could not just let him be a nasty piece of work, but had to make him funny and likeable.

I thought the inconsistency was mirrored in the mise-en-scene. They didn't seem able to decide whether they were doing a straight crime movie or an homage/parody of seventies cop shows like Starsky and Hutch. I kept waiting for, actually hoping that Antonio Fargas would round a corner.

Mark