RARA-AVIS: The Name of the Game Is Death

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 13 Oct 2000

Some time ago, I picked up a later edition of this book. The copyright page held two dates, 1962 and 1972, and noted it was a "revised edition." I asked the list if anyone knew what the difference was. No one had both editions immediately at hand, but it was reasonably surmised that the changes came at the end, revising the ending just enough to remold the standalone into the first of a series.

Well, I just found a paperback first of the book and compared them. They both end the same way. However, the entire book was re-edited, starting with the first page, ending with the last. They are close, but there are subtle changes. The original was just a little more clipped in its language, a little more declarative in its style. So far, I've just flipped through the book, but there have been these small changes on every page I did compare.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

Mark