RARA-AVIS: Re: Get Carter

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 10 Oct 2000

>The original is a great film, something the big studios just couldn't do
>nowadays: a crime film that really requires careful watching. The
>narrative is elliptical, as is proper for hardboiled fiction, and there
>are no exciting climaxes which they now depend on. I just don't want to
>see the original film to be ruined.

with all due respect, I beg to differ, Juri. I think a lot depends on how you define "big" studios, and "nowadays." Recent HB-ish films, say, post-Pulp fiction, worth watching include, just off the top of my head, Twilight, Payback, Jackie Brown, The Zero Effect, Copland, L.A. Confidential, and the Coen Bros. one about the bowling doofus turned temporary private dick with Jeff Bridges.

Yeah, not everyone here likes all of 'em, and some of them (arguably) suffer in comparison to the source material or the original film version, or fail to re-invent the wheel, but generally, I'd contend that they're all relatively well-done, honest, non-stupid films that demand a little intelligence on the part of the viewer. And they were all done by relatively big studios, as far as I know. So there is still hope...

Let's not damn the present by over-romanticizing the past.

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com
A new domain! The same old crap! Plus fiction from Tribe, Victor Gischler and Brian Evankovich. -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .