Re: RARA-AVIS: DKA/Parker crossover

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 08 Oct 2000

.Bill Denton asked,

> What's the scoop on Gores and Donald Westlake? I thought Westlake was a
> New York person, and Gores was out in San Francisco when he was a PI, but
> Gores knocked around a lot and maybe Westlake did too. Did they get to be
> good friends, or were they just having a bit of fun?

I think they are friends. Some DKA characters appear briefly in Westlake's Dorntmunder bok, Drowned Hopes, and in exchange the Doetmunder character's are in a scene of Gores' DKA book, 32 Cadillacs.

In a similar vein, I recently read Gary Disher's CrossKill, a Wyatt book. Disher's Wyatt is an Australian Parker. They even have many of the same character traits. and battle the Outfit. Wyatt asks who is told a Charles Willis owned a car. 'Charles Willis' is Parker's most common alias.
'Mark