RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Oct 2000

James Ellroy, KILLER ON THE ROAD...well done for what it is, but I've decided that the serial killer sub-genre, for the most part, simply bores me.

Eric Knight/Richard Hallas, YOU PLAY THE BLACK AND THE RED COMES UP....Very Cain-like story of doomed love and malevolent fate, told with real verve. Nice portrait of California in the Thirties. A book I've long been searching for -- finally a kind woman traded me her Black Lizard copy for BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. If you can find it, by all means pick it up. Not a classic, but a good read.

Marvin Albert, TONY ROME/MIAMI MAYHEM....real good pi novel set in Miami. All these years I'd thought Travis McGee was the first hb hero to live on a houseboat in Florida, only to discover that Mr. Rome was bumming around on one some time before. Another illusion shattered! :)

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com