RARA-AVIS: Re: Shawn Phillips

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 29 Sep 2000

Weird synchronicity.

Just going over some old e-mail about a dance I DJ'd a few months ago, a 1975 high school reunion, and noticed a few people wanted to hear Shawn Phillips. He was truly huge here in Quebec (and probably not very many other places) as were so many of those British so-called progressive rock groups. Phillips sounded a bit like Cat Stevens crossed with Yes.

He was so popular , and such a part of the soundtrack to the early seventies here in Montreal, that CHOM-FM, the local rock station that was cool at the time, used a chant from one of his songs as their jingle. Of course it helped if you were stoned, but it did sound as if those voices were singing "Chom, chom, chom, chom..."

And the father of one of the non-Sting guys in THE POLICE was in the CIA, too. I think it was Stewart Copeland.

I wonder who E. Howard Hunt's son is? Meatloaf?

But I digress....

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com
A new domain! The same old crap! Plus fiction from Tribe, Victor Gischler and Brian Evankovich. -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .