Re: RARA-AVIS: Brett Halliday pseudonyms

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 29 Sep 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Juri Nummelin" < jurnum@utu.fi> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 7:24 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Brett Halliday pseudonyms

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, James Reasoner wrote:
>
> > I've been lurking again for a while, but I have to respond to this one.
> > know Too Friendly, Too Dead is by Dennis Lynds (expanded from his first
> > Shayne story in MSMM, "The Friendly Corpse"). I *think* Lynds also
wrote
> > The Corpse That Never Was, but I'm not sure about that one.
>
> This is interesting. Did Lynds write any other Hallidays? You wrote them
> too, didn't you, James?

Lynds wrote nearly all of the Mike Shayne stories in the magazine from 1963-70. I forget what his total was, but it was more than anyone else who wrote magazine Shaynes. I wrote 38 of them between '78 and '82. A lot of people wrote Shayne stories for the magazine. Besides Lynds, the ones I remember off the top of my head: Sam Merwin Jr., Robert Turner, Robert Arthur, Richard Deming, Michael Avallone, Peter Germano, Edward Y. Breese, Bill Pronzini & Jeff Wallman, Hal Charles, Jerry Jacobson, and Michael Taylor.

> > Davis Dresser's
> > other ghosts prior to Robert Terrall taking over the Shayne series
full-time
> > were Ryerson Johnson and Helen Kasson.
>
> I've been wondering if Johnson is the same guy who wrote westerns under
> the name Marvin Ryerson.

I've never heard that and somehow I doubt it, but I suppose it's possible.

Best, James