Re: RARA-AVIS: Brett Halliday pseudonyms

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 29 Sep 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, James Reasoner wrote:

> I've been lurking again for a while, but I have to respond to this one. I
> know Too Friendly, Too Dead is by Dennis Lynds (expanded from his first
> Shayne story in MSMM, "The Friendly Corpse"). I *think* Lynds also wrote
> The Corpse That Never Was, but I'm not sure about that one.

This is interesting. Did Lynds write any other Hallidays? You wrote them too, didn't you, James?

> Davis Dresser's
> other ghosts prior to Robert Terrall taking over the Shayne series full-time
> were Ryerson Johnson and Helen Kasson.

I've been wondering if Johnson is the same guy who wrote westerns under the name Marvin Ryerson.

> By the way, all the posts about James Atlee Philips have prompted me to go
> get some of the Joe Gall books off my shelves to read. I think Bill Crider
> mentioned Philips's first book, The Inheritors, which was reprinted in
> paperback under the title The Naked Year. One of the first books about the
> underbelly of high society in Texas.

I just remembered that in "The Irish Beauty Contract" Joe Gall says that he didn't believe in the Bay of Pigs attack. Richard Moore pointed out that Phillips's brother, David, had been involved in this. I wonder whether the two brothers quarreled about this.

Juri