Re: RARA-AVIS: Brett Halliday pseudonyms

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 28 Sep 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Juri Nummelin" < jurnum@utu.fi> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 3:36 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Brett Halliday pseudonyms

> I can't find this information anywhere else: who has written
> the following Brett Halliday books?
>
> The Careless Corpse (1961)
> Pay-Off in Blood (1962)
> Too Friendly, Too Deadly (1963)
> The Corpse That Never Was (1963)

I've been lurking again for a while, but I have to respond to this one. I know Too Friendly, Too Dead is by Dennis Lynds (expanded from his first Shayne story in MSMM, "The Friendly Corpse"). I *think* Lynds also wrote The Corpse That Never Was, but I'm not sure about that one. Davis Dresser's other ghosts prior to Robert Terrall taking over the Shayne series full-time were Ryerson Johnson and Helen Kasson. I know Johnson wrote Dolls Are Deadly and Killers From the Keys, not sure about any other titles, nor do I remember which ones Kasson wrote. (Actually, I'm not sure Kasson ever contributed anything except story ideas, which would make her more of a collaborator than a ghost, but I could easily be wrong about that. I'm going by memory of stuff Lynds told me twenty years ago.)

By the way, all the posts about James Atlee Philips have prompted me to go get some of the Joe Gall books off my shelves to read. I think Bill Crider mentioned Philips's first book, The Inheritors, which was reprinted in paperback under the title The Naked Year. One of the first books about the underbelly of high society in Texas.

Best, James