RARA-AVIS: Re: Blues settings/jazz

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 26 Sep 2000

>I think this perfectly accounts for the '20s being called the "Jazz Age."
As I said, it was popular
>enough that it had crossed over and was listened to by many, especially
sophisticates in the cities,
>but was still very tied in the minds of many to illegal drinking and the
mob-owned speakeasies in
>which it was often played. Which made it the perfect tag for the decadence
of a decade also
>called the Roaring Twenties.

Ah. I think I read your original post as having said that it was in the process of crossing over in the 30s and 40s, which (to my mind) would have meant that, even at that point, it wasn't enough of a force to be criticized. Which, as you point out, is simply not the case.

Not surprisingly, I always associate jazz with THE GREAT GATSBY, which was inspired in part by Legs Diamond, the great bootlegger and subject of one of William Kennedy's Albany Trilogy books.

Vicky