RARA-AVIS: James Atlee Phillips

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 25 Sep 2000

I always thought that Chandler's comment was inspired by SUITABLE FOR FRAMING, but Phillips wrote a lot of other books before THE GREEN WOUND. One of them was PAGODA, which is really the first Joe Gall book. It's different from the others, however. For one thing, it's told in third person. Phillips' first book was reprinted in paper as, I think, THE INHERITORS. I don't know the hb title. It was named by one critic as "one of the 50 best books about Texas," and was compared to THE GREAT GATSBY. I recently read THE SHIVERING CHORUS girls and was surprised to find that it was a Nero Wolfe pastiche about a blind detective who never leaves his home.

Bill Crider