RARA-AVIS: Blues/jazz & HB

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 25 Sep 2000

REALLY THE BLUES by Mezz Mezzrow and Bernard Wolfe is an interesting book both as background to a period and as the first book by Wolfe, a good writer pretty much forgotten these days. BLUES was reprinted a decade ago with an introduction by Barry Gifford. One of Wolfe's novels (THE GREAT PRINCE DIES) dealt with the assasination in Mexico of Leon Trotsky, on whose staff Wolfe had onced served. PRINCE is listed on Warren Murphy's website as one of his all time favorite novels. Harlan Ellison has also championed Wolfe's writing.

Has anyone viewed the 1957/58 Jack Webb film PETE KELLY'S BLUES? It's one I've wanted to see if for no other reason than the background and music. Aside from Webb, I think Peggy Lee had a role in the film as did Andy Devine.
  Humm...probably the only time Lee and Devine were paired by Hollywood. Webb spun it into a television series but that only lasted one season.

Richard Moore