Re: RARA-AVIS: Blues settings?

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 24 Sep 2000

As far as I can recall, there was no fictional HB stories involving bluesmen, pre-contemporary days. America was not even listening to that sort of music, as you know if you are interested. Worse, there was practically no HB/Noir involving black people as central characters before early 50's.

But I recall to have red lives of bluesmen that are more HB than most novels we discus here. Some lives of Jazz musicians and singers of the 30's and 40's are pretty tough as well.

Mezz Mezzrow's autobio is one of those books that will certainly "enhance" your views about the pre-WW2 period- I know that some pretend it's fantasy, but I'm inclined to believe the background is damn real. If I'm wrong then you have a reference answering your question.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384 Polar Noir http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir