Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Sam S. Taylor's Neal Cotten

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 23 Sep 2000

Paul Hartshorne wrote:

> Interesting that you should ask this Juri!

And great that you should answer!

> I bought a stack of '50's Signet pb's from a U.S. dealer a couple of months
> ago and included was Sam S. Taylor's NO HEAD FOR HER PILLOW. I'd never heard
> of Taylor before, and Kevin Burton Smith's usually informative Thrilling
> Detective website has no info on Neal Cotten, so I slipped it to the bottom
> of the pile, but for some reason started reading it yesterday. Perhaps it
> was the caption above the title that reads REDHEADS - RACKETS - And MURDER!
> I mean, how could any rara avian resist!
> I haven't finished it yet, but I'm enjoying it greatly. Neal Cotten is
> obviously a Marlowe knock-off, but he's interesting enough to sustain
> interest, with plenty of humour mixed with the action.

Thanks for your opinions - I can't tell anything of mine, since I've been putting the one translated book aside. But sounds good!

> The brief bio on the back cover states that Taylor, quote: has written many
> radio scripts and magazine stories, end quote, so he could well be Harold
> Lloyd's scripter.

He must be! How can this be a different guy? I mean, what chances are there that there are two Sam Taylors who both wrote scripts? Well, the bio on your book says that he wrote radio scripts...

> I'm assuming that this novel is the second of the three, as SLEEP NO MORE,
> is mentioned on the back cover. Do you know the title of the third?

"So Cold, My Bed" (1953).

Juri