Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent purchases

From: Ron Clinton ( r-and-jclinton@email.msn.com)
Date: 21 Sep 2000

From: "Doug Bassett
> Always like getting people's input on what I've found.
> Anyhow:
>
> Stanley Ellin -- THE EIGHTH CIRCLE

Ellin's at his best in the short form but a few of his novels are standouts, DREADFUL SUMMIT (his debut novel) namely among them. EIGHTH CIRCLE isn't bad...in fact, I believe it won an Edgar for that year.

> F.Paul Wilson -- LEGACIES (This is a "Repairman Jack"
> novel. I thought the first one, THE TOMB, was one of
> the better attempts at blending hb and horror that
> I've stumbled across.)

You simply can't go wrong with Wilson. And LEGACIES is no exception...but don't expect another TOMB...it isn't quite up to the excellence of that work. But it's close - and it's great to see Jack back in action!

Ron Clinton