RARA-AVIS: Recent purchases

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Sep 2000

Always like getting people's input on what I've found. Anyhow:

Stanley Ellin -- THE EIGHTH CIRCLE Robert Campbell -- ALICE IN LA-LA LAND Richard Prather -- KUBLA KHAN CAPER Thomas B. Dewey -- HOW HARD TO KILL F.Paul Wilson -- LEGACIES (This is a "Repairman Jack" novel. I thought the first one, THE TOMB, was one of the better attempts at blending hb and horror that I've stumbled across.)

I can recommend Marvin Albert's MIAMI MAYHEM/TONY ROME, a very solid PI novel featuring a protagonist who spends a lot of time bumming around on a houseboat. And here I thought Travis McGee was the first! Another illusion shattered.

Now reading Prather's KILL HIM TWICE, which, while not quite as funny as some installments in the series, is as enjoyable as you'd expect. Much of the novel is set in the world of early Sixties B-movies, a happy choice, I think.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com