RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hard-boiled Cartoons (No, really!)

From: Forstater, Mathew ( ForstaterM@umkc.edu)
Date: 20 Sep 2000

Well, for current stuff, the one you have to check out if you haven't already is THE DARK HOTEL. Go to:

http://www.salon.com/comics/dark/4/dream/2000/09/15dream1.html

and check around from there.

Julius Knipl (sp?), Real Estate Photographer is a cartoon with a hb, noirish feel to it. Some of the stuff by the guy who did Maus also. Did someone already mention Dick Tracy? Some of the gangsters there, with the deformed faces. I remember having a Batman cartoon book that began with the first installment that explained the origins of the superhero--the young Bruce Wayne witnessed his parents murdered by some muggers. It was night time and the family had just come out of a movie and were walking through some alleyways... I can still picture the long shadows cast by the light of the streetlamps, the steamy, smokey mist in the air, the moon between tops of tall skyscrapers that seemed like they were leaning in...

Juri asked: