RARA-AVIS: Coe, Stark, Anderson

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 17 Sep 2000

This post falls under "What We're Reading." I just read a few more Stark Parker books, which I enjoyed as expected. What I found remarkable was reading another Westlake pseudonym from the same time, Tucker Coe's "Kinds of Love, Kinds of Death." It's hard to imagine these books being written by the same person, by which I mean to admire Westlake. I didn't enjoy the Coe book nearly as much as the Stark stuff, but maybe the later Coe's get better? What has become of Mario Taboado?--I think he was a great booster of Coe. The Coe book--hard-boiled private detective/police procedural--is in the end a murder mystery: lists of suspects, clues, alibis, motive, opportunity, etc.
 A book with a lot less plot, and no need for plot when it does arise, is Kent Anderson's "Night Dogs"--a grim book about a cop on the streets of Portland, Oregon, in the mid-1970s. The cop, a Vietnam vet, is the protoganist in Anderson's straight Vietnam novel, "Sympathy for the Devil," also well worth reading, but off-topic. Doug