Re: RARA-AVIS: Bargains

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 17 Sep 2000

Daniel Sevitt wrote:

> Just visiting the States for business and I picked up an unused hardback
> copy of The Big Blowdown for a dollar in Borders' bargain section. I'm
> feeling well chuffed and didn't have anyone to share it with. Thought it
> might make an interesting topic though. What is the most satisfying
> hard-boiled bargain you have found? Doesn't have to be first-hand but it
> should be something you were looking for and would probably have paid more
> for.

I don't know if this will qualify or not, but a few weeks ago I noticed that a small bookstore in my neighborhood was going out of business. I picked up some nice stuff cheap: movie tie in to THE KILLER ELITE, a few George Higgens novels, and a bunch of other stuff I've already forgotten, because....

I caught the fever while I was in the store and bought the joint!

I'm renovating it now and plan to reopen in about two weeks. The store will be called Mysteries, Movies & Mayhem and the emphasis will be on hardboiled books and films (although we will try to carry a little bit of everything). It will take a while to get up to speed, but if all goes well the "Grand Opening" party will be on October 14. I expect to see you L.A. birds flocking to the roost! (There will be booze....)

TL