RARA-AVIS: Higgins

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 16 Sep 2000

Many years ago I read and loved THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE and went on to the second THE DIGGERS GAME, which was also good. But recently I dipped into his later novels and found I too often hit patches that were turgid and forced. He still had some brilliant sections but getting through one of his novels was hard work on a reader. Hard work is welcomed as long as the result is good enough. The story lines of the later novels were more complicated and difficult to manage in his style. It became like a party trick that witnessed too many times becomes a bore.

I plan to read more by him and reserve the right to revise my opinon. His book ON WRITING is very useful, full of insights.

Richard Moore