RARA-AVIS: Recent reads: Higgins's RAT ON FIRE

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Sep 2000

I first found out about rara-avis by searching for reviews of various hb books I was interested in, and I always used to enjoy Mario Taboada's running diaries of what he'd been reading. So when I can I try to post a short review of whatever hb books I've been reading, hoping that maybe it might help somebody else stumble across this excellent list.

Anyhow, RAT is a short, fast-paced, and generally entertaining tale of arson and sleazy landlords in Boston. It's put together through extended monologs, just as FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE was, and the device is starting to seem rather self-concious and artificial to me. (It's almost as though Higgins is taking a play and making a novelization out of it.) Still, though, I have to admit the monologs themselves are a lot of fun to read. I think Higgins is a rather strange, eccentric writer, but I have to admit that I enjoy his work. Recommended, and I'd be curious to hear what other books of Higgins people like.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com