RARA-AVIS: Call me cracker

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 14 Sep 2000

I see "cracker" used in recent postings as the redneck equal to ethnic slurs.
 And nowadays, I guess it is. The funny thing about "cracker" is that growing up in Georgia, no one I knew considered it a slur. "Georgia cracker" was used very much the same way we might call a person from North Carolina a
"tarheel."

The Atlanta Crackers were a great minor league franchise. They played in the old Ponce de Leon ballpark and lasted until the Braves came to Atlanta in 1966. We were all quite proud of the Crackers, the team and the name.

It is my hope that this off-topic post finally kills this tiring thread.