Re: RARA-AVIS: Bargains -- Goodwill to all

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 13 Sep 2000

On 13 September 2000, btoomey@mail.javanet.com wrote:

: About a month ago I was checking the local Goodwill -- generally the
: best used book store in my area -- and saw something that made my
: little heart go pitter pat.

I hate hearing stories like this, because they never happen to me. About the most interesting thing I've picked up is an old Penguin edition of THE LITTLE SISTER that has the former owner's name written on the first page: Michael Ondaatje. I'm not much of a fan of his recent stuff, but I like his earlier work and it's nice to know he read Chandler, although I wonder why he sold it. I hope it was because he got a nicer edition.

I've scored sold nice Gold Medals and Dell Mapbacks at cheap prices, but nothing exceptional. I got Frank MacShane's bio of Chandler out of the public library years ago and took it with me when I went away to university, and by the time I went back home for Christmas my parents had paid $20 or so for the lost book fine. I said I didn't know what had happened to it. I felt guilty ... but not for too long. I can see it on the shelf across the room right now, on one side one book away from two bios of Hammett, and on the other two books away from THE BIG BOOK OF NOIR, which features many list members.

Bill