Re: RARA-AVIS: Batter up!

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 12 Sep 2000

What you people do get up to while I'm asleep....

"wide boy" originally another name for a spiv. Originally a sharply dressed professional criminal. ?Slightly old-fashioned feel to it, post-war.

baseball bats have been widely available for some time at Toys R Us and Selfridges etc; I have one in the house somewhere myself, as my boys never did like cricket; some amateur baseball is even played at or around schools.

Stanley knives -- mine has a place inside the handle for spare blades. Never thought to use two blades at a time for evil purposes. Just goes to show how lawabiding, etc. Well, superficial damage only, therefore suitable for kids and general discouragement. My own weapon of choice is a sturdy screwdriver....

Marianne