RARA-AVIS: focalization is one thing, but . . .

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 11 Sep 2000

erasing what's more important is another.

I learned early on that obsenities are hand grenades tossed into a story. As soon as one goes off in a sentence, then the rest of the sentence disappears in the readers' eyes, and any information contained therein is lost. I see too many newbie writers using obscenities to cover up weaknesses in plot or characterization and not using them to enhance or enrich their strengths.

"A transvestite hiking up her skirt and grabbing her crotch at me" has more dramatic power than any number of "Fuck!"

But I digress.

Ellroy is insecure.

Best wishes

Frederick Zackel