RARA-AVIS: Just read: Gardner's CASE OF VELVET CLAWS

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Sep 2000

I remember someone saying here that the earlier Mason's were pretty hardboiled. Stumbled across an old paperback reissue of this, his first installment (I think) and yeah, that turns out to be the case. The Mason in CLAWS chain smokes, pushes people around, gets involved in a minor brawl or two, hides out from the cops, and even engages in a little impromptu blackmail. His client is a shady dame and his situation is a morally ambiguous one straight out of THE MALTESE FALCON. It's not as good as that classic, of course, but it's a lot of fun. Recommended -- and it's especially fun for fans of the Mason series (like myself). This is not the rather stodgy Mason of later years, believe me.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com