RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Those were the days

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 08 Sep 2000

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

> Doesn't Marlowe at one point say something like "He snarled and
> called me something nasty." Would that sentence really have been
> better if Chandler had written: "He called me a motherfucking
> asshole."

No, because then it wouldn't be Marlowe ... there are people today who wouldn't repeat the slur and then there are those ornery mutha fuckers like myself who would. It's one thing when you do it for personality and another when you want it censored for political correctness ... thought should be a self-policed action not the decision of a committee. Having worked with men who qualify as real bad ass mutha fuckers ... Navy SEALS, Green Berets, etc., that's how some of them speak and characters based on them wouldn't be realistic if it wasn't there ... at least in the dialogue. There's a difference between narration and dialogue ... Marlowe gets away with editing the words because he's the one saying them, but if we're talking about dialogue and it was censored it wouldn't be realistic and thus wouldn't be hard-boiled either.

The easily offended should stick with cozies anyway ... no use offending their delicate sensibilities with reality. ;)

--
Anthony Dauer
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/