Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Those were the days (was Creationism vs. Evolution (was Once more...)

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 07 Sep 2000

    I agree with most of the "Wait a minute" side of the current thread, especially Neil's latest comments. I heard a talk by mystery writer Terence Faherty (who doesn't write hard-boiled, but whose books I enjoy) recently in which he was calling for writers to govern themselves and using Ellroy as an example of one who doesn't. It helped me to see why I find much of Faherty's work flawed by constipation and repression, evil obscured, ugliness in deep shadow.
    There are great moments and great ideas that can be celebrated effectively in hard-boiled prose, but the whole stew must be available to tell the story at hand, whatever it is.

                                        Jim Blue